Giant Smugglers

shrinkingman
I mentioned the book The Giant Smugglers on the chatbox and the cover was
posted in the library.I heard the audiobook. It's supposed
to be for 9 to 12 year olds.The book gets very far fetched and
wacky, action packed and at times it seemed like a 12 year
old wrote it! Actually two adults did.
The boy, Charlie is 13 going on 14.The giant he meets, said to
be 20 to 25 feet tall, is nicknamed Bruce and is a teen--age
not said. Charlie is scrawny/a bit undersized and gets
bullied by a high school student.
The giant has to hide in a warehouse. He goes to a drive
in movie but gets back; later the bully finds a drug that will
make him into a giant as well.The giant and the now-giant
bully fight.

Bruce and Charlie run off to find a way to get the giant
off to his next hiding place, Louisiana.There are moments
when we see the power a giant can have and the hassles
of hiding him or getting him food. I lost interest in it but tried
to stay to the end.The giant by the way uses a kind of
tent-like tunic to wear and goes barefoot.
I won't reveal what happens to the giant bully...let's just
say he's a jerk to begin with then becomes a huge jerk.

The idea is that a company wants to find a giant
and get his blood or DNA so they can produce
hormones to grow people.
If handled right it could make a good movie.

Re: Giant Smugglers

shrinkingman
On amazon.com there are reviews of this book by people
who liked it but here's one, by Joy, who was disappointed
and said it had a crowded ending.
"It's about a boy finding a giant and trying to hide him. The first half is pretty solid and interesting. However after the one dimensional bully becomes a giant around p140, everything quickly falls apart. The main friendship of the giant and boy were nicely developed at the beginning. However alot of the remaining characters were unlikeable. (Moms boyfriend, brother, evil scientists, bully etc) It turned into a typical action movie chase sequence with tons of out of nowhere twists that had no emotional impact or meaning. It became difficult to guage how strong or how the giants fit into the world around. There seemed to be a huge disconnect to spacial size and relation. It also seemed like the second author took over at halfways point. It felt like he wanted to have everything happen and then couldn't decide how to end the book. It is a page turner though despite the crowded ending. Mature themes like teenagers actually wanting to kill other kids. I don't know if there will be a strong older teen base though because there were alot of plot holes and cliches happening. Opening for second book. "

Re: Giant Smugglers

Yes, it was added a while ago in the Library, it's the No. 49.

Thank you so much for the review!