Character.AI

Glkthread
This post was updated on .
Website: https://beta.character.ai/
Bot creation guide: https://book.character.ai/character-book/welcome-to-character-book
FAQ: https://beta.character.ai/faq

Character.AI is an online service that offers a conversational neural network text generation model. It's similar to other services with neural network models like AIDungeon and NovelAI, but this one focuses on conversations and user interface reminiscent of chat rooms. Unlike AIDungeon and NovelAI, Character.AI is currently in beta and is free.

Based on my testing, CAI is surprisingly robust, able to hold a coherent and lucid conversation on a variety of topics, including being able to roleplay size difference scenarios, referencing scale of characters, nearby objects in reference to current point of view, etc. Setting a bot up is simple if you're familiar with AID or NAI, but if you've never used a neural network AI before, CAI has a documentation section on their website.

So, back to the topic at hand - CAI has a limited but 'good enough' understanding of size difference. Bots are able to both converse about the subject and perform solid "roleplay" as well. Bots can play both giant and tiny roles, and, for the purposes of our website, they can perform as giant boys, too.

Here's a simple bot I made to get you started: https://beta.character.ai/chat?char=q4fQckK97X6oXK7N9wW-D-GqbvQXDAkruoN9SieECtc

Scenario: you're an average joe who gets shrunk to the size of a mouse. A giant boy named Max notices you and approaches you.
Usage: Refer to yourself in first person, present tense. Refer to Max in third person, present tense. Direct speech in quotes.
Example: I do not like this at all, "Put me down right now!" I shout, shaking my fist at the giant boy.

It's possible to use your own style if you don't like it, of course, but the bot might need some guidance and time to get what you want. CAI also supports denoting action using (brackets) or *asterisks*, and sometimes one would work better than another.

Quick guide:
- Generally, you and the bot take turns writing a paragraph of text - describing either what you say or what happens in the story.
- When the bot generates a response, it actually generates 4 variants at once; swipe the text left or right (with the mouse or the finger on a touchscreen) to switch between the variants and choose the best one.
- Use the star rating to rate the quality of each response before moving on. Doing this "trains" the AI to better respond in subsequent generations. 1 star is "terrible", 2 is "bad", 3 is "good", 4 is "fantastic".
- If you don't like any of the 4 variants, rate them all and then click the + icon and choose "Regenerate Last Message" to create a new set of responses.

Tips:
- The AI is censored. NSFW content is filtered, and this affects the quality of SFW responses, too. The AI is prone to "lovebombing" - bots are eager to like the player regardless of defined personality traits.
- The AI has limited memory. Generally, the AI will start losing track of what was happening earlier in the story within 15-20 responses. This is less noticeable in conversational bots, but especially noticeable in long scenarios with multiple characters. There's no way to avoid this, but mitigating it is possible by using the Definition section of your bot with a custom recap, or by simply writing in-universe reminders during your turn, something like: "I take some time to recall what has happened so far: bla bla bla".
- The AI tends to "lock" on certain phrases and words that you use, especially if you overuse them. This can get annoying and might derail the story if you don't mitigate the issue fast enough.
- While CAI is intended to be used in conversational mode with a single character, it supports first person, second person and third person scenarios with a large cast of characters. Using multiple character with the same pronouns can confuse the AI; give your characters notable defining characteristics.
- Similar to AID and NAI, the quality of AI responses is at least partially influenced by the quality of your writing. If you write terse, simple sentences, the AI is likely to mimic you and do the same. If you are verbose, the AI is likely to increase its word count, too.
- There's a lot of user-made characters on the website, and some of them have macro content as well; you can try them out and see what works for you. You can either play with a premade character or make the character yourself - both methods have their pros and cons.

Re: Character.AI

Wow! So interesting!

We'll going to play with this, discovering what a giant boy would do with tiny people. Thank you so much for all this great information. It'll be very useful for us once we try it!

Re: Character.AI

magulliver
we should do a character contest or something

Re: Character.AI

Glkthread
I don't know about going for a contest specifically, as it would require setting up rules, organizing, voting, etc - all tedious stuff, and no one knows how many people would be even interested.

But if anyone wants to create and post the bots they made here, it would definitely be cool. It's not too difficult to create and train a bot, so it could be a fun experience. You can make both public and private (unlisted) bots that would be limited to GBZ only.

Re: Character.AI

Yukino-B
Wow ! Thank you for this wonderful discovery !  I spent my weekend doing several stories, it was really fun !

I tested Max's AI... he's really a very nice giant, he's adorable !  GJ !

I was able to make an AI too, it's really not complicated to do. The AI is really very smart, I don't know how many chats I had but it remembers a lot of events even after changing places and characters, I'm amazed !

Here is an AI I made, if anyone wants to test it : https://beta.character.ai/chat?char=X9rQ5dYoj4rT1d-lMNP1IXeCO3Uusr-ZBTNZmqNr-Ak

This is Leon... I don't know if it's a nice giant, it depends on the choices and answers you choose 🤭 ! Don't hesitate to tell me what you thought of it, if you test it, and to share those that you will make !!  For my part, I would certainly make others, and if you like it, I will share them ! Thanks Glk for this find :) !
Yukino-B

Re: Character.AI

Glkthread
Well done, Leon sure has a mischievous streak, haha.

Re: Character.AI

magulliver

Re: Character.AI

Glkthread
Morgen is an absolute sweetheart with tragic backstory. Not sure if you put the backstory in, or if he came up with it on his own, but that was brutal.
And Elouan tricked me by switching potions at the last moment, the little brat, and then chased me throughout the house. Good job!