A fan of shrinking/giant kids etc

shrinkingman
Someone (Tinyactionfigureman) posted the following
on the clean giant-tiny messageboard in reply to
an article about Incredible Shrinking Woman.You
may find it interesting:
Actionfigureman wrote the following on our Clean Giant Tiny messageboard:
I think the first TV show that really got me into the whole shrinking genre was Dr. Shrinker. I was 11 and always watched Saturday morning TV. When Dr. Shrinker put the three tiny kids in a cage it affected me. The idea that he could pick up a person with his hand and lock them in a cage just because they were little was maybe a little scary to me.  When he said the high bidder of his auction would get the shrinking ray, but the second highest bidder would get the tiny kids I remember wondering if they would wind up being pets of the winner's kids and kept in a cage on their dresser. I guess that is where the mind of an 11 year old will go. In some ways I thought it would be cool to be the kid who won them, but I also spent a lot of time thinking about what it would feel like to be in that cage with someone else completely in control. I wondered what my classmates at school would do to me if they won me in an auction. I remember thinking about who in my class would probably be nice to me, and who would not.

I never saw the show Land of the Giants when it was on TV, but one day I was at Goldblatts, a store near our house. I loved my view masters, and the store had a set of view masters from Land of the Giants. One of the pictures on the front of the package was of two of the small people taped down with a couple of strips of cellophane tape. The fact that a simple, everyday item like tape could be used to render a small person completely helpless made an impression on me.  That's the only exposure I had to that show until probably 20 years later when I saw the whole series in reruns on the SciFi channel I believe.

So when The Incredible Shrinking Woman came out I was a teenager, and there were a couple of scenes that I distinctly remember. The first was when she was just a matter of maybe 6-8 inches tall and her kids had some friends over. She was trying to be "the mom" and tell the kids to settle down. Then one of the kid's friends, a boy, aimed his toy gun at her. If he had actually shot the ball at her it likely would have really hurt her. That was probably when the whole concept of the role reversal really became interesting to me, with the kids actually being in charge of the adults. I thought about what that kid would have done to her if he could have secretly grabbed her and taken her home. Then the other scene that made an impact on me was when the doctors who were supposed to be helping her instead kidnapped her and put her in a hamster cage. It was the idea of using shrinking as complete betrayal.  To them she was no longer human, but just something to help them achieve their means.

I would definitely say those were the three shows that brought me to be fascinated with the concept of shrunken people. Unlike the person who wrote this article The Incredible Shrinking Woman did not really scare me as such, but there are definitely some scenes that made an impact on me.  However, it was probably Dr. Shrinker that had the most influence on me as far as this whole idea is concerned. (It was a reply to "Inc Shrinking Woman Movie That Warped My Mind as a Child")

Re: A fan of shrinking/giant kids etc

Interesting post. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Re: A fan of shrinking/giant kids etc

shrinkingman
Yes...In my case a lot of the giant-tiny interest is adventure things like Scott vs the giant cat in Inc. Shrinking Man, or relationships with different people as one shrinks or grows. "Power, or lack of it." I have imagined (Anthrocoon on Furaffinity) a situation like "Earth human winds up on planet of 70 ft tall anthro raccoons, foxes etc--there is a language difference but they learn from each other, care for the little guy--but not everyone there, as in Land of the Giants, will be kind. And what if these giants landed on Earth?"

 One can imagine a mischievous giant boy dangling a tiny human upside down, one foot between thumb and forefinger..Shrinking or growing is an interesting concept--we do grow during childhood but then stay roughly the same size, but what if we shrank or grew to giant size? Some real life people can be anywhere from 2 feet tall to over 8 feet, but imagine being even bigger or smaller....I do recall seeing things like Hanna Barbera's Gulliver cartoon when I was around 10 or so, and first saw Shrinking Man movie when I was 14...then read book.